Thursday, September 20, 2007

Asile 6

And so I have been traveling. To all of the places you never wanted to go in the same week. Smushing NC into MO across one day and trying to remember what time zone I am in and what rental car is mine because I am confused after three days three cities. And all of this hazy thinking is the result of one brilliant afternoon on 9/11 last week. That was the day that I decided to go to the airport early....and ended up meeting a spectacular man seated next to me. Ok so He was no really supposed to be sitting in the middle seat but he did all the way to Chicago...

Laughter. Lots of laughter and tears from laughter. When is the last time I have laughed like this without fear or thinking about what to say next. Only savoring this moment that was so not supposed to happen for either of us. So not supposed to be on the 2:40pm to ORD. So supposed to be on a 4:20 and a 5 something. I noticed after a while that people around us were just looking over and smirking and just not sure what to make of the whole thing going down in aisle 6. And I remembered that my laugh is loud and joyful and felt all warm and happy inside.

And so we had a drink...before I departed to NC. (you might be asking yourself why did you fly to Chicago to then fly to NC and I would invite you to join us road warriors in our search for answers to these questions) When is the last time you found yourself wishing your layover was longer? Or wishing your flight was canceled?

I think the folks in NC truly believe that the smile on my face the next day was all about them....

3 days and counting and TC will be returning to DC for his bi-monthly visit. All of these emails and txt messages will have to be converted into live conversation and real laughter instead of smiles and goofy :---). How will that be? How do you convert bits to real life? How to you move from having open conversations over email to having to look the person in the eye and say what you want to say.

This is interesting and concerning and exciting all at the same time. When you think about how much communication is about verbal signs you wonder how verbal signs will change what you say...the guise of email is earth shattering to the dating scene and has flipped it on its head. I am a writer by nature. Words flow off my finger tips and I don't know if my brain is a quick in real life. All of these challenges will be faced down on Sunday afternoon. And on Monday and on Tuesday...until we are back to bits again.

No comments: